Tuesday 8 October 2013

OUGD504 - Design for Print Research

Design for Print further research into designs

Looking for actual idea needs a bit more research into actual designs rather than just materials and facilities to include. This blog posts documents my train of thought through my research.

Here are some of my ideas that have been shaping my further research and vice versa.

Louis Vuitton inspiration

After researching online into different print methods and how they've been used in industry, I came across this design for Louis Vuitton:


It was made for a launch party in China and so origami was used for the invitation. The user had instructions and had to fold it themselves in order to read the invitation and see the logo.
I really love this element of interactivity for the user as it makes it a bit more fun - I'm aiming it at designers as an advert for alternatives to jumping straight on the computer and designing a website to encapture customers.

Posh Pass the Parcel

From this I came up with the idea of a Posh Pass the Parcel that the user would enravel layer by layer to reveal something in the middle. Each layer would feature a different print method and instructions on how to achieve it. 
After the self initiated crit I want to include things that don't rip - traditional pass the parcel is layers and layers of newspaper or wrapping paper that are torn off. Because I want this to be a keepsake ('posh') I need it to be sustainable. 

And so I looked at interesting ways to open packaging that can be reassembled and reaffixed:



This box fixes itself together and can be opened and closed without damage to itself.





I really love the laser cut element that reveals the different textures underneath this design.






Its even better that all these designs feature cool openings that will keep the user entertained and keep the design fun and interactive. 

Cool Nets

After researching into different boxes and openings, I started to look at actual nets that I could use. 
I took out a packaging book with a CD and started to print off some nets to experiment with. 
I don't have the intention of fully copying the nets but for the purpose of research I'm printing them straight off.

Here are the nets I chose:








The assembled nets etc can be found here.


The infinity fold



For my Posh Pass the Parcel design, I wanted to have something in the middle that still expresses print design but the concept of unravelling. This simple design carries that concept perfectly in my opinion and isn't too complicated to achieve.



No comments:

Post a Comment